Jacobs implements a culture of conscious choice with regard to travel plans, which has led to a reduction of car mileage by 50% in 2009 in comparison to the previous year and a reduction of 750 tonnes of CO2 emissions.
Jacobs is successfully reducing the associated car mileage at a business level by avoiding travel where possible. Interactive methods of communications are set up which allow colleagues to discuss and share information without necessarily being in the same room or location. These include:
• Net meeting: users share the use of the same screen such that they all have access to the same information.
• WebEx: real time communication linking numerous attendees for interactive meetings, combining the use of a computer and a telephone.
• Video conferencing.
Where travel proves unavoidable, members of staff are required to first consider the use of all public modes of transport as part of their standard travel safety plans. This becomes very much a personal commitment and state of mind in terms of conviction.
Sixteen of Jacobs’ large offices in the UK have implemented green travel plans. A green travel plan is a package of measures and incentives designed to allow the travel needs of site users to be understood and managed in a more sustainable and environmentally friendly manner. If these plans prove effective in reducing both commuter and business mileage over the course of the next year, similar programs and plans may be created for additional offices worldwide.
What and How:
Transport is one of Jacobs’ main sources of operational CO2 emissions, through business related staff travel. The company places great value on the face to face interaction of staff with colleagues and clients, which is balanced with the importance of promoting and implementing sustainable travel behaviour. This is in conjunction with our Beyond Zero safety culture, encouraging the use of public transport where appropriate.
• Reduction of car travel in terms of mileage by half in 2009, in comparison with the previous year;
• Saving of 750 tonnes of CO2;
• Increased flexibility where time or weather conditions make travelling impractical;
• Increased safety for employees and clients alike.